In the event of an emergency, Navy’s Wide Area Alert Network (WAAN) provides real-time alerts to the Navy community throughout the lifecycle of the incident/crisis or closure through:
- Giant Voice (GV)—A voice announcing system using exterior speakers, commonly termed “Giant Voice”
- Interior Voice (IV)—Interior speakers or sirens
- Computer Desktop Network System (CDNS)—An administrative broadcast across Navy computer networks that overrides current applications, thereby reaching all Navy users almost instantly. It works whenever you are logged in to your NMCI or One Net computer.
- Automated Telephone Network System (ATNS)—Interactive, community Network system capable of providing voice and/or data messages to multiple receivers—telephones, cellular phones, email, SMS (Text), etc. ATNS requires registration.
Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF)—It’s a requirement.
- All military (active duty and Reserve), civil service, and contractor personnel with an NMCI or One Net user account are required to register their office email address and phone number, at minimum, in the WAAN. Registering personal emergency contact information also is strongly encouraged.
- Personnel are not automatically registered in the WAAN.
- Navy can’t alert you, if they can’t find you!
- Registration enhances your safety and empowers you to react in times of crisis.
- Registration ensures that real-time alerts provide information to you and your family on what to do and where to go in an emergency.
- Registration allows you to find out about base closures due to winter weather, storm, or emergencies, before you should show up.
- Registration permits you to get word when it is clear/safe to return to the installation.
Click on the Purple Globe to Register
- NMCI and One Net users—Right-click on the Purple Globe icon (bottom right corner on desktop).
- Select “Access Self Service.”
- Select the “My Info” tab and update your Last Name, First Name, and Display Name and save.
- Select the “Devices” tab and enter your work and personal contact information in the appropriate mandatory and optional device fields. (Note: Your ability to receive alerts on home phones, cellular phones, pagers, and email addresses, depend upon information entered into the mandatory and optional device fields.)
- Update your profile any time you have a change.
Contact NAVY 311 (Available 24/7)
Phone: 1-855-NAVY-311 (1-855-628-9311)
DSN: 510-NAVY-311 (510-628-9311)